Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Dove Stew and Polenta


Rick semi-jokingly tells everyone that he's the man--he's supposed to bring home the meat, and I'm the woman--I'm supposed to cook the meat. I write "semi-jokingly" because I really believe he does feel this is true. I do oblige occasionaly. I do not usually participate in eating the kind of meat he brings home.

What you'll need:
1 large onion
3 stalks celery
2 large carrots
Olive oil
pepper
1 heaping tsp thyme
1, 6 oz can tomatoe paste
1 cup red wine
1 packet brown gravy
1 packet mushroom and herb gravy
(you can use canned gravy, just omit some water)
6 cups water

Rough chop onion, celery and carrots. Preheat a large pot on the stovetop and add enough olive oil to coat. Add vegetables and saute until slightly soft on medium heat. I would not add salt because the gravy is usually salty, but that's just my opinion. Add thyme and tomato paste. Add 1 cup of wine and stir until incorporated. Let the wine cook down a bit, maybe 5 minutes.
Add the gravy packets and stir into a thick paste. Add the water and stir well to incorporate. Bring to a boil and add the dove. Lower the temp and simmer for at least 4 hours. The sauce should be pretty thick. Serve over polenta.

1 comment: