Friday, February 8, 2013

The Kindergarten effect

Who knew selecting a school for Kindergarten would be equivalent to selecting a college? I do blame myself for making this tough decision even more challenging, but I am so disappointed that all public eduction is not equal. I started fretting about where Sophia would go to school back in November. Here we are in February and my blood pressure is high, my gray hairs are plenty, and we still haven't decided which school is best for her. Not that it is really our choice. Private schools review applications and have testing, our public school in our district has informed me that because it is such a popular school, Sophia is not guaranteed a spot, and the district we would love to transfer to basically treated me like a cockroach when I visited the school to see if we could expedite the process.
It's broken, people! The whole system is broken! I know, I can be a little dramatic. Rick thinks I'm being a lot dramatic. I may have developed a little crazy tic in my eye if we have to talk about the latest school delimnas, I admit it. I believe Sophia is smart enough, social enough, and well adjusted that she will do well anywhere she goes.
Yes, it's just Kindergarten. I switched schools in first grade and did just fine. Probably better than fine. My point is that I care about Sophia's education, her social interaction, her safety. And I want her surrounded by families that have those same concerns. I don't want to shelter her. Well, maybe a little bit. I want her to continue to be the same smart, social, well adjusted little girl that she is past Kindergarten. So it may be "just Kindergarten" but what happens next? By the way, I can't believe we're already registering her for Kindergarten. Where did the time go?!

No comments: