Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Riveting

In order to get Rick out of the house on his one day off a week, an outing has to be significantly tantalizing. Meaning, it should involve some type of heavy machinery. I had wanted to check out the Rosie the Riveter tribute at the Richmond harbor for some time, and there just so happened to be a WWII exhibit featuring the USS Iowa nearby. It was a beautifully crisp day, so we bundled up and headed out. The USS Iowa exhibit was underwhelming. I also quickly realized how inappropriate it felt to have Sophia pose next to powder kegs and large gun casings.

After a pretty short perusal of the bow of the ship and museum, we headed over to the Rosie the Riveter memorial walkway. Equally underwhelming, we decided to go for a walk along the water--my secret intention all along.



Although the tribute itself to all the women who worked in the shipyards during the war was underwhelming, the history and information was fascinating. I wish there was more to see.


It made me realize I need to get more information from Rick's mom, who was a "Rosie" during that time. She totally downplays the significance, of course. I still have some work to do with her there.

No comments: