Friday, April 13, 2012

A glimpse of my past self

Rick and I did an overnight trip to Las Vegas for my girlfriend's wedding. It was a 24 hour, kid-free opportunity and I relished in every sweet minute of it. Don't get me wrong, I love my girls more than life. But sometimes they are a handful. More than a handful. I have very spirited children. I try to make light of the work that it takes to raise them, because I am so grateful for everything I am blessed with. This stay at home mom business is not a walk in the park. It can be physically and mentally draining day in and day out. I joke that it's a nice break to have my teeth cleaned. But sometimes it's not a joke. Anyway, enough about how hard it is. It's been a very long time that Rick and I have had some time together, away from the kids. It's also been a long time that I've gotten to meet up with some old friends. And it's been ages since I've gotten to meet up with my old friends at our old Vegas playground. I was giddy. It was a blast. It was a joyous occasion! And what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, right? Although I must add that 10 years ago, we actually did stay out until the clubs closed instead of leaving the clubs right when the lines start to form. Man, are we getting old or what? I forgot how much I loved Vegas. I reconnected with my younger self again, before pregnancies and responsibilities. It was a much needed 24 hour time out. And I came home refreshed, ready to take on my life again. Get back to the grind. Absence does make the heart grow fonder though. While I was relishing in my freedom from responsibility, Rick was having the opposite experience. I'd find him looking at pictures of the girls on his cell phone. "Look at this" he'd say, as we'd both peer over the small screen to watch one of Sophia's dance routines he had captured. "I really miss them," he'd muse. And I realized that while I am the trenches with them during the day, he's literally in the trenches and so busy running his business that he has no time to think about missing them. When he comes home from work, it's dinner, bath and then bed time. So while it was good for us to also reconnect, I think next time I may head out to Vegas solo and let him take the kids by himself!

No comments: