Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The 7 year itch

Seven years ago yesterday, Rick and I were married on the beach at sunset in a very small coastal town in Northern Italy. Each year, days before our anniversary, we receive a card from our friend Jennifer. Quite honestly, had it not been for this yearly reminder, we may have forgotten to celebrate (I never thank you for your thoughtfulness, Jennifer!). We aren't very good with exact dates, Rick and I. We know time frames, but specific dates of things need to be written down, and even then are forgotten. I'll get a sixth sense and have to go to the calendar or my blog when I feel like there is something nagging at me. And when life gets in the way, we tend to set aside those we love the most because we know they will forgive us. But strangely enough, this year everything fell into place with little effort. We were hanging out in the backyard with the girls on Sunday, watching Sophia run through the sprinklers and Ava playing in the water table. I asked Rick what we should do this year and he suggested maybe go away for an overnight trip somewhere next week. "Next week? You know our anniversary is tomorrow right?"
"Oh, is it tomorrow? I thought there was another week in there. Well, let's go to dinner tomorrow."
"Lots of restaurants are closed on Mondays," I remarked. "And if you want me to wear that dress I promised, it's going to have to be a warm night." So we agreed to see if we could have Noni watch the girls and go to dinner that very night. He called a place nearby, which is on the water, and they had a table available right at sunset. It was meant to be. When Rick was making the reservation, they asked if it was a special occasion and he said it was our anniversary. "What's your secret?" the guy on the other end of the phone asked. Has it gotten so bad that 7 years is considered a great accomplishment in our society? I feel like we are finally getting into our groove. Has it already been 7 years? But just in case I'm in oblivious naive mode, I decided to remind Rick that there are remedies for the 7 year itch. Because I am not at all romantic, I went the humor route. In case he starts to get itchy, the medicine cabinet is stocked full of Benedryl, Calamine lotion, Tinactine, and Gold Bond.

No comments: