Monday, September 10, 2012

Goal!

Sophia started soccer. I'm not biased at all here, but she has a natural talent. And if you don't believe me, a parent even commented on her ability. Or it could have been that he said, "Wow, she really gets in there, doesn't she?" Which immediately processed in my head as "Wow, she's a little Mia Hamm in the making. Get ready for her debut in the 2024 Olympics." Nope, I'm not biased. I'm not thinking back to her mad skills when she was only 2 years old, sitting on the kitchen counter top and kicking every ball served to her solidly, wondering just how awesome she would do when she was 4 years old and serving it up on the field.
OK seriously, this was her first game. One minute into it, she got tangled up in a team mate and muddy water from the over saturated field splashed up her in eye, temporarily blinding her and leaving her helpless to get herself back up. I ran out there to rescue her and the coach scolds me with a, "You need to let her get up on her own." In my head I screamed "Back up bitch, my baby might be blind!" I refrained and mumbled, "She can't see, she got mud in her eye." Sophia dramatically plopped herself down on the chair and whined, "I'm all wet and dirty and I want to go home and change." And I panicked just a little, thinking we would have to pack up and leave one minute into the game. But we aren't quitters, damn it. So I told her she could sit on the chair and cheer on her team for the whole game or she could shake it off and play like a big girl. Going home wasn't an option. And Sophia got right up and went back in to play. A few minutes later she scored a goal. And it wasn't just an accidental happen upon the ball coming her way. She took control of the ball and maneuvered it 3 kicks to the goal. After that goal, she was fully in the game.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Look at her going up against the boys. I'm sure Chris would like to recruit a ringer :-)

Katie Moore said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.