Monday, January 13, 2014

Happy New Year 2014

I can't help but feel optimistic about this new year. I have always liked the number 14; it has a nice ring to it. Not that 2013 brought us any particular hardship. Reflecting back on the year, I would say there have been many joyous moments and triumphs along with the sorrows of loss and the frustrations of defeat. Maybe it just felt like a year that has the number 13 in it just didn't seem all that lucky. I was ready to say good-bye and move on to a shiny new year filled with possibilities.
True to the advertisements that bombard us with subliminal and not so subliminal messages of organization, I have began the process of tidying up around my chaotic home and my chaotic mind. This process is usually greeted by resistance and rolling eyes in my family. Ava has joined their team this year, adding "oh brother" when I get on my "I will throw it away if you do not pick your toys up this minute! How many times do I have to tell you to clean up?!" Yes, I realize how much I sound like a mother. I realize it the moment the words form in my head, flying out of my mouth without any capacity to hold them back. This is also around the time that Rick starts saying, "Yes dear, whatever you want dear." I get the sarcasm, but I like to pretend he actually means it, and it really does make me happy to hear these words. I won't pretend I don't have issues. So my motto of the month, because it is so retro and awesome, is "Cleanliness is next to godliness and tidiness is next to impossible." Anyone else remember this in the 80's? I think my mother had a magnet or maybe it was sign in the kitchen? Anyway, it seems appropriate while in the throes of project: organization.
2014 has already brought some big developments around here. Ava is potty trained. An accomplishment that was completed in all of 3 days! It feels good for both of us to get rid of all that bulk, and I've already got my mind working on what can take over the spot where the changing table and diaper bin have taken up real estate for the last 5 or so years. And because I clearly have the maternal need still brewing inside me, we are entertaining the idea of adding a new dog to our family. Both kids have been asking for a puppy. Rick has wanted one since Ruger died. I am warming up to it now that I don't have to change diapers. We shall see how it all unfolds. A year of possibilities. Happy 2014!

No comments: