Monday, July 30, 2007

Spanish Rice Dish that I can't spell but phonetically pronounced as "Pie-A-ah"
I think this is one of those recipes that if you had someone from Spain over and you made it for them, they would think you were smoking something. But I don't like bi-valve muscles and it's hard to find most of the other ingredients at my local grocer...so I adapted. I should probably make up my own name for the dish, but am not feeling a name for it. Any suggestions?Preheat a medium sized, oven proof pan. Add 1/2 "tube" of chorizo, which can be found in the Mexican foods refrigerator section. If you find the hard chorizo, it looks like a sausage or pepperoni shape, dice that up and add to the pan over medium heat. When the fat starts to render, add 1 medium diced onion and 2 cloves of diced garlic. Cook on medium heat for a few minutes. Add 1 cup of white rice to the pan and cook for another few minutes, so the rice starts to absorb the flavor. Add 2 1/2 cups of chicken stock and continue to cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375.After about 10 minutes of cooking on the stove top, add about 1 1/2 cups of frozen peas, and about 3 cups of frozen (shelled, deveined) shrimp. Add about 1/3 cup of freshly chopped parsley. Stir to incorporate and put the lid over the top of the pan. Place in the oven and cook for about 20 minutes.

No comments: