Friday, July 11, 2008

About making dinner...

I've been trying to get back to making decent dinners. I'd say the lack of any interest in food--let alone time to eat food-- has put the "making dinner" part of this blog on the back burner (pun intended).
So the week before last, I actually planned a menu and bought groceries to support that menu. I started out simple, taco salad. That went well, hard to screw up ground beef and prepackaged taco seasoning. Throw in some lettuce, black beans, avocado, tomatoes, green onions, celery, carrots, and ranch dressing and it was a pretty good meal.
I felt like I was getting my cooking mojo back, so next was rotisserie chicken with Pappy's seasoning, and roasted root vegetables. Well, the chicken didn't cook all the way so I had to pop it back into the oven to finish and then it ended up overcooked. Minor setback, slight wound to my new found confidence.
But I trek on to the grand finale of the week: rack of lamb with creamed spinach. Now this would have actually turned out beautiful. The crust was amazing, the temperature perfectly medium rare. However, the lamb was so incredibly marbled with fat, that it made it impossible to enjoy. I was so upset! If you've bought rack of lamb pre-frenched at your local grocery store, you would know that a rack of lamb is pretty darn expensive.
Well, 2 out of 3 meals not ending up the best was enough to give me this past week off. Not to mention the heat wave we had did not promote running any household appliance, let alone an oven or stove. So we had smoothies for dinner. Now it's cooling down and I'm starting to get nervous about this week's menu. Do I even dare try again, or just stick with the basics for awhile?

No comments: