Monday, November 8, 2010

Ava's second week

Ava is starting to look like a real baby! She's taken on the newborn appearance rather than the drowned rat look that she's been styling since around the second day she was born. I hope to update with pictures soon, to show her off a little. She continues to tolerate her feedings well, so they keep bumping up her intake by 1 mL each shift change (translation- she's getting more milk and less IV stuff). The Dr. told me he thinks they will take out the IV feeding completely tomorrow. Her nasal cannula has been turned down to 1, and she's been good with that (translation- she's almost completely helping herself to the room air, no need for some tube to help flow room air into her nose).

As I mentioned above, she's starting to look cute. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love her and I'm completely bonded with her, but I just don't really think newborns are all that cute. And a preemie newborn is scary. But now her eyes aren't bugging out so much, she is starting to fill out those wrinkles, her skin is looking pinker. She ended up with my birthmark. I suppose that will be the only obvious trait my children inherit from me. Sophia's has faded much more than mine did, so I hope the same for Ava. Ava has her dad's upper lip and hair line. I'm sure more things will start to show as she grows and as more of the wires and stuff covering her are removed. We can't be happier with her progress.

I had my 2 week post-partum check-up today and the whole staff came over to ask how Ava was doing. My Peri said they call over to the NICU regularly to check in on her. They call her their miracle baby. It was very touching.

No comments: