Friday, April 29, 2011

Nurture versus nature


I've always found the psychology of a child fascinating. One comment I hear from parents (even my mom and my mother-in-law) is "I raised them the same way, how come they came out so different?" I can honestly say that I won't be saying this in the future. So if Sophia and Ava are complete opposites, I will be less surprised than if they have any similarities.

Besides the normal "second child" things, such as being held less, having to adapt to the older kid's routine, being made to wait more, having a less neurotic mother, etc. Ava wasn't breast-fed, she co-slept with me for a good part of 3 months and I still pull her into bed with me in the early morning, whereas Sophia didn't have her first bottle until she was 6 months old and I always put Sophia in her bassinet or swing to sleep. Sophia did sleep on me for a lot of her naps, where Ava is always put down in her swing as soon as her eyes start to droop. I always had Sophia in her car seat carrier and stroller for any outings, but find that it's easier to wear Ava in the Bjorn carrier to do anything with both girls. Sophia didn't really start to interact until she was 3 months old, but Ava was always wide-eyed and ready to play from the time she came home from the hospital.

I know it's still early--too early to tell how things will turn out--but I can sure tell you they are like night and day.

No comments: