Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Parmesan

I wouldn't call this a traditional eggplant parmesan, but I didn't have marinara sauce on hand and I had a lot of tomatoes. So I decided to roast the eggplant and tomatoes at 450 degrees in the oven for about 45 minutes. I had cut them both about 1/2 inch thick and then made sure each side had plenty of olive oil. I seasoned the top side with salt and pepper, and placed them on a lined baking sheet. I suggest using parchment paper.
After I took them out of the oven, I placed a piece of mozzarella cheese on top of each eggplant, placed the roasted tomato on top of the mozzarella, and then sprinkled some parmesan cheese on top of the tomato. The flavors were very rich and sweet together. It definitely doesn't taste like an eggplant parm, but I think it's a lot healthier option. I served this with pesto pasta.

No comments: