Sunday, August 23, 2009

Tomato tart



Wondering what to do with your abundance of tomatoes? I have a tart in the oven right now, and I'll need to update this post after eating it to figure out if it worked, but while the ingredients are still on my mind...
Preheat oven to 375. I used a rich pastry dough recipe for the crust, and set it in a tart pan or cheesecake pan with a removable bottom. In a medium size bowl, I mixed equal parts cottage cheese and cream cheese (I don't measure so I'd say about 3/4 cup each), 1 large caramelized onion, a pinch or 2 of thyme, lots of black pepper, and 2 eggs. Pour this in the tart. I was going to add some grated Parmesan cheese to the bottom of the pastry, before pouring in the filling, but I forgot. I'll do this next time. I prepped 2 large tomatoes by cutting thick slices and then setting them on some paper towels and then sprinkled with salt to get some of the moisture out. Set the slices on the top of the filling, overlapping slightly (they will shrink slightly during the baking process), in a ring formation. Bake in the oven until the filling is set, the crust is golden (about 45 minutes or so) and the tomatoes look slightly roasted on top. I plan on serving at room temp with chopped basil on top.

I realized I haven't been updating the blog with recipes as much as I wanted. I'm trying to add pictures, too. If anyone actually tries these recipes and has comments on them, they are welcome. Especially if it's a complete failure or missing an important ingredient. I usually write the ingredients and stuff down after the meal but sometimes it's later and I forget a step. There's no way I'm disciplined enough to actually measure or write the steps down in the process!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Cara,

Your tart looks so gourmet! Looks good.

Kathy