Tuesday, October 27, 2009

What's for dinner?

Chicken Gumbo
Like most things I make, I wouldn't base the name off a traditional recipe. This one in particular does not use the traditional roux, which I find to be too heavy with the rice. I like it more soupy. I once knew a woman who was from New Orleans and this is how she made her gumbo, and although it was many years ago, I still remember it being the best "chicken soup" I ever had. So here's my rendition.

Coat bottom of heavy stock pot with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and set stove top to medium high heat. I used 1/2 of a fryer chicken, so 1 leg, thigh, breast, wing and seasoned with salt and pepper. Add to pot and brown on all sides. While browning, chop up 1 and 1/2 large onion, 3 medium stalks of celery and 3 large onions to bite sized portions. Add to pot with the chicken and let saute until slightly soft. While this is being sauteed, add 1 heaping tablespoon of Old Bay seasoning, 2 teaspoons of whole leaf dried thyme, 1 teaspoon of whole leaf oregano, and 2 teaspoons of cracked pepper. Once veggies are slightly soft, add water until it completely but just barely covers the chicken. Bring to a boil. Once to a boil, place a lid over the pot and bring temperature down to low and simmer for 2 hours.
After 2 hours, remove chicken from pot and set aside to cool. At this point, I skim off the excess fat. Continue to simmer the broth. Now you will add some smoked sausage. I use cooked linguica but you can also use the traditional cooked andouille sausage. Remove the casing and cut in half and then into bite size pieces. Add to the pot. Once the chicken is cooled enough to touch, take off the skin and shred from the bone. Add to pot. Add 1/2 cup of chopped fresh parsley. Simmer all together for another 1 and 1/2 hours.
In the last half hour, cook some rice. Once again, I swayed from tradition and used basmati rice, with the zest of one lemon added to the salty water. I think the lemon adds a clean flavor to the finished dish. It's up to you.
Scoop out some rice, and ladle your gumbo over. Top with sliced green onions and serve with hot sauce.

No comments: