Friday, January 15, 2010

Grocery store marketing

The oh-so-obvious candy and lollipops at the checkout stand have nothing on the strategically placed mylar balloons in the bakery section. Of course Sophia spotted it all the way from the produce section, screaming "ELMO!!" at the top of her lungs. I whipped my head up from the task of garlic bulbs, and looked in every direction, even toward the ceiling, thinking that maybe Elmo was dangling from the rafters. And then I followed Sophia's pointed finger to a big smiling Elmo balloon. I attempted to calm my focused little monster down, while a creeping panic started up my spine. The produce section was my first stop in an unimaginable line of aisles where I would have to endure the shrieking from Sophia if I do not give her that balloon. When we got home, Sophia still had a strong grasp on Elmo's string. Rick greeted us with a "Who's birthday is it?" I responded, "It's someone's somewhere."

1 comment:

Alicia Adams said...

Welcome to the club. :o) Asher's had many not-my-birthday balloons!