Wednesday, July 28, 2010

So much fun...that they did it twice

I had an amnio today on both babies. I hadn't mentally prepared to have it done twice, but I do understand that the Dr. wanted to get as much definitive data as possible. They did a very long ultrasound on both babies and my favorite tech was assigned to me today so I was relieved about that.

Twin A still looks perfect in every way. Twin B still has tons of fluid built up everywhere, but is still measuring right on in brain, heart, length, etc. if you don't count the cystic hygroma. The tech said it's the largest CH he's seen (about the same size as the baby's head in diameter). The Peri. told me twin B has pretty much every area impacted because of the CH and also has hydrops (organs are floating in fluid as well). He told me he'll be in touch with Cincinnati immediately following the results of amnio, so he's definitely heading that route but I'm still not there yet, can't come to a conclusion. I told Rick that we have as much time as we need to make any decisions, even if it seems like the Dr. wants us there next week.

The amnio was guided by u/s the whole time with both babies. I covered my eyes, Rick watched. If it weren't happening to me I would have totally watched because that's really interesting to me, but I couldn't do it just knowing if I saw the needle get close to a baby I would instinctively jerk out of the way. Rick said twin A seemed to move toward the needle at one point and then bounced away. It's pretty amazing how they can take 3 large vials of the fluid and there was still a lot of the fluid around the babies. Another interesting thing they do for twin amnios is they put blue dye in the amniotic fluid after the first amnio, to ensure that he doesn't miss his target and re-puncture that sac. He said his next sample would come back blue if that were the case. I held back my question whether twin B would now look like a smurf.

The needle insertion itself wasn't painful, just a pinch and then a weird sensation like you'd feel if you hit that funny bone part of your elbow and get that muscle spasm/jolt. That's what it felt like when entering the uterus and any time the needle moved to swap out the vials. It did take longer than a normal amnio would, obviously because he had to do it twice but also because he said it would be a little more complicated because the way the twins are positioned and how the membranes are interconnected. But after it was all done, he said it went well and the fluid was nice and clear for both babies.

We ordered what they call FISH results, basically rapid results that determine about 80% of the possible chromosomal abnormalities they test for. We should hear back on Fri. for this and then it takes about one week for the complete panel of testing to be completed.

Sophia is hanging out at Noni and Papa's for the day, most likely getting spoiled by her aunts as well there. I've been laying down for the most part today. Slight uterine spasms and mild cramping here and there, but nothing to complain about.

No comments: