Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Late blooming garden

This year we did a few things differently in the garden. Rick set up a drip system to most of the vegetables. Our new inhabitants to this year's garden feature pumpkins (and lots of them), peppers, and cantaloupe melon. Our regular fare includes beans, tomatoes, 3 kinds of squash, and basil, strawberries and wild blackberries. Our grapes decided to come in this year, too.

Things are finally starting to happen in the garden. It was a late season, the weather has been really mild. However, it's turning out to be worth the wait. I love the drip system, and I think Rick has come around to love it too. He's more of a purist with gardening. He believes things should be watered individually, and by hand. And then I got involved with the gardening (i.e., I was home now so it fell onto me), and well, it seems like lots of very crazy things happen in my life around this time. So in the past few years the plants died, or got over watered, or rotted. And then I think he put 2 and 2 together, and decided maybe the less I have to deal with it, the better. Anyway, crossing my fingers here, but this seems to be our best garden yet. Because I only go out to pull the occasional weed, and to pick what's grown.

Dinner has been easier around here now that the vegetables are coming in. We'll have grilled zucchini squash tonight, sauteed crooked neck squash tomorrow night, and stuffed scalloped squash the night after. Sophia better get used to this, because it seems like squash is on the menu for awhile. I read that you should serve something up to 10 times before the kid agrees to eat it. I believe we are past #10 now. The beans have started to come in, so we'll probably go through the same thing with those. I can't wait to get my hands on some fresh tomatoes. These guys are teasing us at the moment.

So whats for dinner? A whole lot of vegetables!




















No comments: