Saturday, November 12, 2011

Dinner for Grandpa


My grandpa Lee turned 91 last week. I can tell you many moments of awesomeness from this man. He is inspiring. He grew up dirt poor, without even the bare necessities. He had to hunt for his food. He worked for "old man Coors" in Colorado. He was a fighter pilot in WWII, and to this day when questioned about driving, he'll give a curt "I was a fighter pilot, so don't tell me how to drive." He logs everything in his journal. He can tell you how much electricity they used in the house in 1982, or how long it to him to walk 4 miles yesterday--up to the very last second. When he retired, he didn't slow down. He always has a list of projects, and a schedule that he keeps each day. He still has his office, as I imagine it looks similar to how his office looked at work. I remember when I was younger, probably 10 years old, maybe I had stayed the night or our family was over for the day. Anyway, I knocked on the ajar door and there he was behind his desk, reading the paper. He looked over the top of his bifocals and said, "Come in Cara, have a seat," as he gestured to the chair opposite of his on the other side of the desk. "What can I do for you?" I imagine this is the same reaction he'd give one of the employees under his charge. He is a simple man. Never complains, never fusses. He is stubborn. He has endless love and patience for his grandchildren and great grandchildren. We all look up to him.

When we were little, Sunday drives were common. We would often include my grandparents, the endpoint being dinner at a restaurant. The first time I saw a rack of lamb was one they ordered after a day trip to Capitola. It came to the table with those funny hats on each end of the bone, and mint jelly on the side. It was the oddest thing to see, from the eyes of a young child. So last night, I decided to make rack of lamb. I didn't use those funny caps, but I did include mint jelly. I started the meal with fennel and onion soup, served with mushroom pate on toasted baguette. Our salad was of mixed greens with goat cheese, glazed walnuts and dried cranberries, with a simple lemon vinaigrette. The lamb chops were served with roasted root vegetables. I made a mud pie for dessert. We had a great time talking about the past, about the present, and just being goofy with Sophia and Ava. It's rare to enjoy time with only my grandparents these days. Its typically the big events that bring us together, among the chaos of large crowds and chasing children. We don't really get the chance to have relaxing conversation. Last night delivered, and it was awesome, just like my grandpa Lee.

2 comments:

Alicia Adams said...

Aw! I love him already. Reminds me of my dad. (Right down to the WWII pilot who won't be told how to drive!)

Jessica said...

So glad you are able to share this wonderful man with your girls.