Tuesday, November 1, 2011

In the chill of the night...

She arrives just in time! Spider Girl, Spider Girl; friendly neighborhood Spider Girl.
Sophia was the fearless super hero until we happened upon a haunted house, complete with zombies. Then she jumped into daddy's arms and announced that trick-or-treating was over. She wanted nothing to do with anything after those zombies. In the car on the way to Noni's, Sophia proclaimed that she no longer liked Halloween. I think her aunts managed to change her mind once at Noni's house. It was the nightmare before Christmas over there, complete with much loot and goodies. Glad to have left Noni's until last, hopefully giving her a happy ending after the fright.

Ava was as snug as strawberry in a strawberry patch. I feel redeemed after having failed with Sophia's first Halloween costume, in which she absolutely refused to wear the bunny outfit. Ava was very compliant, and didn't even bother trying to take off the hat.

I, on the other hand, feel like Halloween is a bit cursed for me. I woke up that morning with the flu. Oh, I powered through it all. No way I was going to let some body aches and weakness mess up my Halloween. But come on, can I just have one year where I am completely whole in body and spirit? Last year I was recovering from the c-section, having just been released from the hospital the day before. The year before, I had just found out I was pregnant on Halloween, which ended in an ectopic pregnancy. The year before that, I was pregnant which resulted in a miscarriage. The year before that, I was pregnant with Sophia which was very exciting and also not so much fun to be pregnant on Halloween. So needless to say, I was determined to make this year very un-reproductively focused, even though my right ovary might as well have had a neon sign with "Open for Business" and huge blinking arrows pointing to it, ovulation was that obvious a few days ago. Which seriously, if I were a glutton for punishment, probably would have meant I'd have implanted on Halloween. So NO THANK YOU this year, I wanted to enjoy both my daughter's Halloween stress free. And along came the flu, because apparently something had to mark the occassion. So next year? Next year better be pretty damn spectacular or I may have to change my mind about it being my most favorite holiday.

No comments: