Friday, November 11, 2011

Tis the season for colds

Sophia and Ava didn't wait long to welcome the cold and flu season. This is probably what prompted my "Do you ever..." post the other day. It's been, um, challenging to say the least, around here. It's not really the cold symptoms that is the challenge. Well, besides Ava. It's really hard to get that thick snot wiped up or sucked out (yuck, just writing "sucked out" makes me gag). Ava is superhuman strong when she puts up a fight, so I guess she is physically challenging. Sophia is mentally challenging. She is not the type to lay back and watch TV when sick. I think a cold actually gives her more energy. Makes for a really bad situation when cooped up in the house. I've discovered that Ava also doesn't let a cold slow her down, and she is the "get out and about" type of girl. There is no getting out and about now that the weather has turned downright cold (add rain to today's forecast). I'm beyond the creative, "I've got an idea for a project!" and moved into the brooding, "I may need to call Super Nanny if I have to take one more day of this" stage. Good thing both girls had an awesome night of sleep last night. The human spirit is so amazing that just one night of good sleep completely wiped out the desperation of the last entire week of piggyback wakefulness between Ava and Sophia, including the hacking cough that kept me awake, in tuned to their fight to breathe. Oh, and I had the flu the week before so I guess that would be almost two weeks of very little sleep. But last night was awesome. And this morning was amazingly calm and whine free. So we are turning a corner here, in the house of sickness. Only to be reminded that this is just the beginning and the fact that it's Sophia's first year surrounded by classmates, that maybe I should stock up on tea and coffee for the long winter haul.

No comments: