Thursday, September 23, 2010

Another "new" OB appointment

Now that I'm officially transferred to the Peri for all pregnancy stuff, I had to have an OB appointment. Got the results that I passed the 1 hour non-fasting glucose tolerance test. This is not only a good thing as far as my blood sugar and diet are concerned, it's also going to play a part in steroid shots to help the babies lungs develop in case they deliver early. The steroid shot also tends to jump the blood sugar levels in ones system, which can cause complications if one doesn't tolerate sugar well as it is. So at least it's something additional that I don't have to worry about. I am still trying to figure out the risks and benefits of getting a steroid shot at 24 weeks vs. later on, maybe 26 or 28 weeks. They can only do the shots 4 weeks apart and for 2 doses because after that, there can be a risk of adverse impact on the babies, including small head circumference and slowed body growth. So I'm hoping that with a little more research I can make an educated decision in the next week or so.

With the outbreak of whooping cough in California, the new recommendation is to give a Pertussis booster to pregnant woman. While I'm all about vaccination, I just feel that adding more to this already precarious situation may be too much, and there aren't too many statistics about side effects for pregnant women and unborn babies. Also, it's just recommended for women in the 2nd and 3rd trimester-- these are red flags for me. So I opted to have the vaccine immediately following delivery and I'm going to see if we can get Rick one at the same time. I did get the flu shot at the appointment. And they added the H1N1 to the regular flu shot this year so that's a bonus.

1 comment:

MoDLin said...

Sounds like you had a good appointment. Good sign that you passed the GT test.

Your appointent with the neonatologist sounded excellent. I am glad that you are able to ask the tough questions and that he gave you honest answers. Information is critical in helping you make decisions in the future. I think you are doing incredibly well and admire your strength.