Sunday, September 12, 2010

"Normal" complaints

I've decided to give myself a free post to complain about normal twin pregnancy things. I remember when I got pregnant with Sophia telling my OB/GYN that I hoped I was pregnant with twins. She looked at me very seriously and said, "No you don't." I felt that was a little harsh. We'd been trying for so long to get pregnant, I wanted a jumpstart.

So now we are in the present, and boy what a challenge it is being pregnant with twins. OK, besides the obvious craziness of the last 2 months finding out the additional challenges we are facing. I mean the actual pregnancy stuff.

I have a road map of a large city on my left leg. These spider veins have taken over the entire lower calf, and are starting to move their way up my thigh. And I'm sure it's no coincidence that I have a huge varicose vein protruding from the left side of my pubic bone/inner thigh area. That varicose vein I've deemed the culprit who has decided to set up his battalion to trail blaze down my leg. And it hurts. Throbbing hurts. No, I refuse to wear support hose. I know the suffering will fall on deaf ears from my Peri and OB/GYN who insist that is the only way to go.

I've invested in a support pillow. Boppy makes this new one I like a whole lot better than individual pillows, and it's more comfortable that a pillow I had bought while pregnant with Sophia. This allows me to turn from side to side better, because that's what I spend my whole night doing. I can't get comfortable. I have a mini fortress surrounding me and any attempts from Rick to cuddle anywhere near me is futile.

Speaking of sleeping, I now wake up an additional time in the night due to acid reflux. So twice to go to the bathroom and once to take some midnight Tums relief.

I feel like my stomach is literally going to split in half and out will project these babies and my guts in a B rate style gore flick. Something has literally got to give here. Every once in a while I feel this tearing sensation, as if my skin ripped a little on the inside.

I can't lift Sophia out of a shopping cart anymore. No more trips with her to the grocery, Target, grocery, grocery...grocery. This is devastating to me. Sad, but true.

I can't wear my normal bras. I don't fit into any of my old maternity shirts. It's hard to shave my legs, tie my shoes, get up from a sitting position, breathe.

I'm sure there are a few more, but these are the biggies.

Did you know I'm only halfway through this pregnancy?

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh my goodness! I feel for you! And you're chasing around a 2 year old at the same time! Have your tried Safeway.com to deliver some groceries? And Farm Fresh to You?

Betsy said...

Did you read my post "You May Be Near The End of Your Pregnancy If..." granted you're only half way through, but I hear ya since it was only a week ago that I was feeling all of that! Hang in there!

Kimee said...

Hi there. I realise this post was made a fair while ago but I just wondered something... I'm over halfway in my second pregnancy (24 weeks), and with identical twins. I have also been getting the "tearing sensation, as if my skin ripped a little on the inside" as you put it, and wondered if this was something you ever linked to your previous caesarean (I've had a previous c/s), and how the pains/stretching panned out as the pregnancy went on? I'm a high-risk mother and you can never find out these kinds of things from the doctors!
Many thanks :) Kim x

Cara said...

Hi Kim, I think it was that my skin was stretching so quickly during the time. I ended up having lots of nerve damage and over a year later my skin around my stomach still feels numb. My stomach muscles also split apart (diastis something-or-other)and I'm not sure if I'll need to eventually have them repaired. Not to mention lots of stetch marks. Oh the joy. Good luck to you and the birth of your twins, such a miracle. Glad I could help in your journey.